Pinblock Separation Questions

PatchWick@aol.com PatchWick@aol.com
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 22:31:50 EDT

In a message dated 10/2/2003 2:18:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> I just looked at a late 1980s Baldwin studio, serial #1417324, style #4023
> (model number?), with a pinblock separating from the back assembly (about a
> quarter-inch separation). The piano has 3 backposts, but the back assembly is
> covered with veneers. Does anyone know if the backposts on these pianos
> extend to the top of the back assembly (top of back assembly also covered with
> veneers - yes, I will be able to tell when I yank these veneers off - but was
> curious before I get into it). Any knowledge of this Del? The three top plate
> screws are centered over the three post centerlines, so I suspect they may
> extend up to the top.
>
> The couple times I have done this repair has been with older instruments
> where the backposts did extent to the top - and of course I through-bolted
> through them. If, by chance, this is a piano - like some Kimballs - where the
> backposts terminate at the base of the top back assembly (about at the pinblock
> bottom), has anyone done this type of repair on that design? I see no evidence
> that the rear portion of the upper back assembly has moved - appears that
> only the pinblock has moved, so I suppose it would be just fine to epoxy and
> through-bolt to the back of this design. Anyone aware of any pitfalls I might
> not be seeing here?
>
> Also, any non-bionic technician willing to share how many hours they have
> taken to do a repair like this - start to finish, not including pitch
> adjustments and tuning (just clamping, drilling, bonding, bolting and cleanup)?

I've done many pianos like this. Mostly they've not been Baldwins, however I
just finished my 4th Baldwin in 4 months. I figure about 4-5 hours total. I
usually take around 1-2 hours to loosen the tension, glue, clamp and bolt the
thing back together. The second day is typically something from 2-3 hours to
bring back the tension, tighten up the coils, and properly space the strings. The
last one I did was a spinet with the veneer on the top. Since the veneer was
not cooperative in coming off, I found a sheet of brown name-board felt to
cover the top. Saved a lot of time messing around with matching veneer!

Good luck!!

will wickham