RC vs CC again

Wed, 1 Oct 2003 09:29:23 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Chick (Earthlink)" <tune4@earthlink.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: October 01, 2003 7:21 AM
Subject: RE: RC vs CC again

> I've been following this thread for a bit and have this question:
Steinway
> D's are the performance choice for almost all significant piano events
> because of their "power and ability to project."  What is the reason(s)?
Is
> it their CC board?  If an RC board were installed would the piano still
have
> this quality?  If you haven't seen the poster, any reputable Steinway
dealer
> has or can show/get you a poster listing the number of concerts played on
> Steinway as opposed to others.  So, is this marketing or reality and why.
>
> Paul C

Steinway has been building up their concert piano fleet for something over
a century now. They have made sure there pianos are proximately featured in
most of the major music schools. They have aggressively signed up every
touring artist they can find. They make sure the instruments are rotated
out regularly to ensure good concert hall performance. Nothing wrong with
this -- it's great marketing and great service! And their dominance in the
concert hall won't be seriously challenged (regardless of the performance
quality of their competitors) until that level of commitment to the world's
concert halls and touring artists is matched.

Great service and availability often outweigh performance or design
considerations. Consider the Rolls-Royce automobiles before their demise.
They offered well-made, highly exclusive and very expensive automobiles of,
shall we say, exceptionally traditional design. Ultimately, of course, they
were absorbed by their competition because they were unwilling or unable to
keep up with that increasingly competitive competition.

Del