Bedevilled by a Baldwin yet again

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Thu, 22 May 2003 12:06:42 EDT

Paul McCloud writes:
> What I did was to place a self adhesive felt dot (the kind you put under=20
> objects you don=E2=80=99t want to scratch the surface they sit on) about 3=
/8=E2=80=9D diameter=20
> on the back edge of the jack tip, with the felt just peeking over the tip=20
> edge

Hi Paul,=20

While I applaud your creativity, often a design has been worked out over man=
y=20
iterations, and small changes might have effects which we don't foresee.=20
Baldwin used an unproven material which failed later. However, they still di=
d not=20
change the original design, which was to use the friction and durability of=20
the butt skin on the keystroke, and its silencing capabilities on the return=
;=20
and to use the angle of the jack/butt engagement for a positive energy trans=
fer=20
while allowing the (smooth, lubricated) jack tip to slip easily while not=20
under pressure (upon return).

In addition to the lack of durability of the stick-ons, it could be said tha=
t=20
your method makes other design changes, such as a difference in the depth of=
=20
engagement of the jack, as well as a significant difference in the friction=20
upon its return. I would guess that the repair time didn't differ significan=
tly=20
from a return to the time-tested configuration.=20

Shortcuts which might compromise the function are almost never cost-effectiv=
e=20
(or reputation-enhancing) in the long run, which is what we have the pleasur=
e=20
to deal with. There are things in piano design that can be improved, but I=20
want to make sure I have considered all the ramifications before I make a ch=
ange=20
- not because of respect for the original designer, but because there might=20
indeed be a good reason that I just don't see. I have made a few thoughtless=
=20
"improvements" which have come back to bite me in the    .

Best wishes for a durable repair,
Bob Davis=20