Wurzen felt

Mon, 12 May 2003 00:27:41 +0200

"David C. Stanwood" wrote:

> I find that high zone hammer weights develop a
> wider and fuller dynamic range if they are made and voiced appropriately...

I find that this is true as well. Certainly at some point there exists a limit
here due to touch concerns, but in general I tend to agree with what many many
others through the last 100 + years have said.. namely that more hammer mass
yeilds better tonal quality at the expense of touch. Tho this expense has
definantly been lessened in the past few years thanks in no small part to
David.

> There is a recording made at Elon College NC on a Steinway D 1926 that
> you put a beautiful beautiful board in...  John Foy, the rebuilder,
> requested a TopHigh hammer weight when I designed touch weight components.
> This piano is VERY popular.  Ruth Laredo raved about it etc....  There is a
> recording recently made with this piano and the tone is vibrant, and as
> varied as a painters palette.  I'll get more information on this if anyone
> on the list wants to order it and have listen...

I would love to hear this recording.

> Light hammers rebound off the string more quickly so they are less tolerant
> of lacquer or heat pressing...  nothing worse than a light hard hammer..
> Ed McMorrow takes soft resilient hammers and lightens them until the tone
> blooms but often there is so much weight removed that the tone is very
> small.  The same bloom may be had with a heavy hammer when the proper
> balance of density gradient and resiliency is achieved by manufacturing
> process and voicing techniques.  The difference with the higher weight
> hammer is that more vibration is had out of the soundboard...  I see light
> hammers as just not exploiting the full vibrational potential of the
> board...   but they can certainly sound beautiful.

Having lived not 5 blocks from Ed for 3 years, I have had a few opportunities
to listen to Eds results. I have an awfull lot of respect for Ed. He does a lot
of homework before making up his mind about something. And my own view of his
philosophy vary much agrees with this (above). There are definantly times where
you want a smaller sound, and definatly times where you want a bigger one. That
choice seems largely to be a matter of how much hammer mass is used. The
quality of that amount of sound is in the realm of how well the hammer can be
voiced, and what the resolution and character of the piano allows for to begin
with.

> Richard Brekne mentioned the tone on the Steinway C at the Grieg Institute
> in Bergen, with Wurzen felt.  The hammer weight level on that instrument
> was a 1/2 high.  Beautiful tone... good job Richard!

Just so you know it David, there is only one professor out of 5 that prefers
the other C there. Before we did the change this was exactly the reversed
situation. And this is in spite of the fact that due to my own reluctance to
use assist springs we have a little higher then usual BW on this instrument.