Horowitz piano

Robert Wilson pianotechnicianuk@yahoo.com
Wed, 7 May 2003 22:48:39 +0100 (BST)

 --- Mickey Kessler <mickeykes2@uf.znet.com> wrote: >
These observations seem consistent with what Franz
> Mohr said in his
> autobiography (at least in the excerpts I've read).
> If I remember
> correctly, he strongly disputed claims that Horowitz
> ever requested, or
> got, any special modifications to his piano.  In
> fact, Mohr gave the
> impression that Horowitz wasn't particularly
> demanding about the instrument
> -- though he seems to have let his stage fright
> spill out onto the
> technician from time to time.
>
> This contradicts a Horowitz biography of some years
> ago which claimed the
> treble hammers were made hard as glass at the
> maestro's insistence.  Given
> that that biography also made a lot of baseless
> allegations against
> Horowitz (for example, that he had a very limited
> repertoire), I'm inclined
> to believe Mr. Mohr.
>
> Mickey Kessler

Mickey,  I'm not so sure this is correct.  In the
reminiscences of Franz Mohr that I have, from the book
'The Lives of the Piano'  He says that Horrowitz
wanted a brighter sound.

quote.

"As I began to file the hammers Horrowitz insisted I
take off more and more.  I protested all the way, and
told him the piano would sound like tin cans.  Well,
Horrowitz got the sound he wanted, but it was the
sound of tin cans and I had to throw away the hammers
after his performance, No one else would have used
them"

unquote

This referred to the preparation of a piano for a
recording of Rachmainov Third, not THE Horrowitz piano
- but it may give some insight into the relationship
between Mohr and Horrowitz.

Bob.

Yahoo! Plus
For a better Internet experience