well temperament defined

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 08:34:38 EST

Avery asks:
<< While we're sort of on the subject of definitions, why is a Victorian
called that?
What makes it different from a "normal" WT? <<

  I call them "Victorian" because Jorgensen did.  It appears that he does so
because it was in the Victorian era that the well-temperaments became so mild
that they were called equal, even though, by contemporary standards, they are
not equal, at all.  The Moore & Co, Broadwood's, and Coleman tunings are all
within the definition of Well-Tempered as it is being used today, so I have
no quibble calling them well-temperaments.  "Victorian tuning can also apply
to what we see as "quasi-ET" that Owen documents, so maybe a more accurate
term could be "Victorian well-temperaments" if we want to distinguish between
mild WT and quasi-ET.  I suppose how far one wants to carry the delineation
is a matter of personal preference or utility.
   I basically see temperaments as falling into three categories:  Meantone,
with its restrictions, Well-tempered, with its tonal palette, and equal, with
neither.  There is, of course, some overlapping between these, and as our
CD's meantone Scarlatti shows, MT can be used without suffering from its
restriction,and  ET can pleasantly be used for Mozart, etc. This doesn't
necessarily mean that the maximum impact is obtained by these uses, but
emotional impact is not easily measured,(especially scientifically), since it
depends on the listener, too.

Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/