Old German Piano

Steve Martin smartin@dodo.com.au
Thu, 06 Mar 2003 03:24:19 -0000

Hi Terry

thanks for getting back! As we'd say, "She'll be right, mate!" I'm not =
sure but I think from posts I've read that we Aussies say setoff and you =
guys say "letoff". If we say letoff it normally means that one has bad =
gas - or so to speak!! ( not that I'd know anything about that!)
I was taught for height, to measure from the lockrail, hence the 20mm =
key height etc.

Terry, the basic thing was touch weight! The keys without the weight of =
the action feel almost too heavy and was wondering if removing the =
weights would even slightly lessen the touch weight? Have you ever done =
this? Everything else to me seems to be OK and fairly standard. Do you =
know if this is a common German piano problem? Most old American pianos =
that we have floating around don't have weighted keys!

Thanks again,

Steve.
----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 12:26 PM
Subject: Re: Old German Piano

> Oops! Please accept my appologies Steve. For whatever reason, I =
thought this might be just a one time project for you. My mistake. If =
that were the case, I just couldn't even imagine trying to get into =
touchweight, etc.
>=20
> So, now that I blew that, what was your question? I think you asked =
about touchweight and removing leads. I have asked about vertical =
touchweight and don't think I have ever gotten or found or read a good =
treatment of it.
>=20
> "Key height 20mm. drop 10.5mm, blow 47mm, setoff 3mm...."
>=20
> How are you measuring key height? That is normally measured from the =
keybed and would most often be in the 60 mm range. What is drop on a =
vertical? Blow 47 mm - OK - if that works - could go even a tad shorter =
if that would work better. Setoff 3 mm - I assume you are speaking of =
let-off. I even sneak it in a bit closer often.
>=20
> What were your questions? Did you get them answered?
>=20
> Sorry again.
>=20
> Terry Farrell
>  =20
> ----- Original Message -----=20
the industry for sometime. I'm aware of the reams of material out there =
on all different subjects piano wise.=20
> Terry were you in on the " Newbies" thread sometime ago? It was =
refreshing to read one part  in which a tech wrote that we were all =
newbies to one degree or another. I can't recall who it was - doesn't =
really matter. This person thought that the term ought to be dropped and =
that we should just get on with the business of asking questions!
>=20
> You wrote:
>=20
>=20
>=20
> -----Are you a piano technician? You have basically asked how to =
regulate and weigh off an upright piano. There are entire books and =
courses dedicated to just these procedures.......
> In the original post what I was asking was about key weight and =
whether anyone could advise on any possible regulation other than =
standard, which I'd already completed.
> I asked mainly seeking some advice on whether anyone would have =
regulated a little differently. Perhaps someone has knowledge on the =
finer points of German pianos?!
> Here is what I wrote:
>=20
> "The job was fairly basic. New dampers, tapes, etc. I regulated it to =
what I thought was a fair standard. Key height 20mm. drop 10.5mm, blow =
47mm, setoff 3mm, dampers begin the travel half way thru' the blow, Key =
mortices are OK. "
>=20
> Steve Martin.
>=20
> P.S. Local experts are thousands of kilometers away from here, and =
even then I'm not sure about how many of them I'd trust.
>=20
> Have a great day!!
>=20
>=20
>=20
>  Original Message -----=20
asking about them, but I would recommend attending classes at regional =
and National PTG conferences to learn about these procedures. Have you =
done that? Do you have Reblitz? Solving a touchweight problem is =
something that can baffle even a experienced piano technician veteran. =
You might want to at least get a local expert to spend a few hours in =
consultation with you.