what's with the new temperaments?(x post)

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 19:08:22 EST

 Richard  writes:

<< The
point is that you have demonstrated evidently that a significant degree of
your
customers, in your estimation prefer non ET tunings... while at the same time
telling us how little these same folks are able to discern about temperaments
in
general. This just tells me theres a lot of interesting questions here that
need
to be asked. It certainly doesnt tell me much more.<<

   That significant degree of my customers prefer non-et is not my
estimation, it is demonstrated for real by them and their wallets.  Also,  I
haven't said that these "same folks"  can't discern the difference in
temperaments, they can because they have become educated.  The ones mentioned
earlier, like Ax, haven't been.  The head of the dept. does seem to have some
deep seated resistance, but that is balanced by the fact that 7 out of 8
other piano instructors, as well as two out of three voice teachers, have
come to prefer the Moore and Co, and Broadwood tunings to ET.  These folks
certainly can tell the difference between a Broadwood,(which I do consider a
WT) and a Young.   They all have reacted negatively to a carefully tuned ET
after become sensitized to the WT sound.
 >>Tell you what... you do a formal survey....take all precautions neccessary
assure as much objectivity as is possible, and eliminate whatever influence
your
own views preferences might have on your subjects... and then publish the
stuff.  <<

   I am surveying customers taste everyday, and they are voting with their
money.  Rather than publishing  info, I am producing recordings.  I think
that is the way to cause the most change.

 >> I am pretty much on this wagon myself..... its just that
my results so far simply do not bear out your own. I have had a few
exceptions...
like the Broadwoods best # 5 quasi ET.... but then that didnt even qualifie
as a
Well temperament.<<

   How does it not?  I am defining a Well-Temperament as one that follows
Werckmeister's order of balance, with no wolf.  Having a 10 cent spread
between your widest and narrowest thirds is a pretty long way from
"quasi-Et", imho.

Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/