soundboardinstal again

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:18:12 -0500

>You should really try to get a copy of the August PTG Journal.  The
>flexibility of the bridge termination and transverse string oscillations are
>covered in detail -- with equations!
>
>--Cy Shuster--

Cy,
I suppose, but I don't know what good it would do him. Did you read the
article? Did it tell you anything Del hasn't already covered in his Journal
articles, and that hasn't been discussed on the list? What did you learn
from it that was new or, better yet, useful? I saw one equation, a fourth
order differential equation "describing" the transverse vibration of piano
strings. Do you have at hand, any of the information necessary to plug into
those equation variables to work it? I sure don't, nor would I know where
to start looking for them if I wanted to. Do you have any idea what the
derived number would mean if the equation was solved? I sure don't, and the
article didn't give me a clue, except that the results are said to be
similar to the example of the time history graph of a real piano frequency
spectrum of a single note shown in figure 1. What practical application
that may have, I have no idea.

This article is, in all fairness, installment #1, and the first one of any
series tends to be pretty general. I'm looking forward to something more
practically informative and useful in future installments. This could prove
to be a very interesting series.

Ron N