Voicing Down a Yamaha U1

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 14:08:11 -0500

At 8:34 PM +0200 7/28/03, Stéphane Collin wrote:
>... Why not the crown ?  I hear often people saying not to touch the crown.
>Do you have a way to control overall brightness without touching the crown ?

Hello Stéphane,

I was referencing the Yamaha hammers only. Not other brands. After
witnessing a demonstration first hand years ago, and then doing it
myself settled the matter for me once and for all. Also, I'm fairly
certain sugar coating will not take care of this person's voicing
needs.

>By the way, why do those Yamaha U1 commonly tend to be harsh ?

I tend to hear the U1s' as being on the bright side, rather than
harsh. Anyhow, that approach seems to have worked rather well for
them over the years. Other than that, I don't have a definitive
answer for you.

Sincerely,

Keith McGavern