Rib overkill

Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:06:54 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: July 28, 2003 4:19 AM
Subject: Re: Rib overkill

> I've disembowlled several old (pre-American/Aeolian) Knabes and am sure
they machined quite a bit of crown into their ribs. I've got a strung 1902
6' 4" Knabe in my shop now waiting for a new board that has pretty good
downbearing and a good 3/16" of crown along the longer ribs and 1/16" to
1/8" in the high treble and treble areas. I just measured a 44-inch-long
rib off an old Knabe upright - it has a full 5/8" of crown to it (this
would work out to something like about a 25-foot radius crown). Was anyone
a hundred years ago using crown radii tighter than 25 feet?

> Terry Farrell

I've not found any written evidence of this, but there are a few examples
that indicate at least some were thinking along these lines. Whether this
was by design or by a mistake of manufacturing tolerance, who knows.

Del