Rib overkill

ANRPiano@aol.com ANRPiano@aol.com
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 07:23:44 EDT

In a message dated 7/27/2003 8:48:08 PM Central Standard Time,
imatunr@srvinet.com writes:

> Has anyone ever made a piano with two boards. Parallel to eachother with
> different stiffness factors?

Franz Meyer out of Oak Park,  IL made a cocked hat style piano with a
secondary soundboard for the low tenor and bass.  Holes were cut through the top
board and the bridges passed through.

I have seen three.  The first in a customer's home, the second I bought out
of curiosity thinking someday ...  I trashed the piano this summer, the third
at another rebuilders shop, I am sure he would be more than glad to give it to
anyone else who might be curious.

These pianos date from early in the 20 century and are in such bad condition
it is hard to tell if they ever sounded very good.

Andrew Remillard
ANRPiano.com
ANR Piano Service
2417 Maple Ave