Harpsichord kits

Stephen Airy stephenairy@fastmail.fm
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 12:07:50 -0800

I wonder if anyone would ever supply a grand piano kit?  I think it might
be an interesting project to build a grand piano.  (I think the plate,
soundboard, and pinblock would have to be pre-done (piano builder drills
tuning pin holes in pinblock), and the case, also, of course.)

----- Original message -----
From: "Dave Smith" <dsmith941@comcast.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 08:18:34 -0400
Subject: Re: Harpsichord kits

Richard,

I built a Zuckerman harpsichord from a kit many years ago.  Took me
several months of spare time.  Didnt keep track of hours, but it was
several hundred.  If you plan to charge any reasonable shop rate for your
time, it would make more sense for your customer to get one already built
by Zuckerman company.   Or get a prefessionally built one by a small
builder.  I recently traded in my Zuckerman for one built by Ted
Robertson in Bloomington, Indiana.  Beautiful instrument and better
sounding than a Zuckerman by far.   http://www.robertsonharpsichords.com/

Dave Smith
SW FL