captured action

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 07:55:07 -0500

 List,
A couple of months ago, I wrote:

> I need help figuring out how to get the action out of an Estey baby
grand.  As it sits, the bass hammers are 1/4 to 1/2 inch higher than the
bottom of the stretcher.  ...... the stretcher is only held in place by
it's attachment to the rim at each end, and this is my problem.   I can't
see how it's attached, or how to release it.  I gave it a few gentle tugs,
then a progressivel rougher knocking about, but there's limits to what I'm
willing to do in front of the cutomer in her living room.  Any ideas what I
should be looking for here, to release this stretcher from the rim?

You all responded with lots of good suggestions, meanwhile I gave my quote
without pulling the action.

Tommy wrote:

>Please understand! You must get the job. We are all interested in how you
are going to get the stuck action unstuck. I couldn't wait to log on
because of your project.     Therefore, for all the List.....put on your
best sales job

They ultimately decided against the total rebuild option (which would have
let me struggle with the stretcher in the privacy of my shop, followed by
refinishing the piano), and opted instead for the pinblock juice, bass
bridge crack epoxy, and action regulation, forcing me to remove the action
in their living room.

Good news:  They all had plans, left the house as I was setting up - so I
do get to do this surgery in private!

More good news:  I find a screw at each end of the stretcher, up through
the bottom at an angle into the rim.

Bad news:  Although removing the screws releases a handful of sawdust onto
the keybed, it does not release the stretcher.

In desparation, I decided to try tipping the action.  I know, I know,
several of you pointed out that this won't work, and I remember trying it
unsuccessfully back in May.  So imagine my surprise when I slid the action
out to where the hammers just contacted the stretcher, lifted up on the
front rail until the hammers easily cleared the stretcher, and slid the
action the rest of the way out!  This is why I LOVE this job!!

So the winner of the puzzler is Alan Barnard, who was most insistent that
tipping should work.  Thank you, Alan.

Mike Spalding RPT