x x

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 16:15:05 -0300

Hi Kenny,
What made you think the pins required changing?
Could it have been humidity swings. I find some of these small pianos fluctuate drastically, with humidity changes, especially Mason and Risch made in the 70's. (Possibly early 80's) A Dampp-Chaser system helped somewhat.
Where it is a church, do you make sure it is at the same temperature when you tune it as when, they use it?
If the pins are tight, what would you gain by going to #4's. By the way what was the torque on the original pins?
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: KENNETH FINLAYSON
  To: oleg-i@noos.fr
  Cc: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Friday, July 25, 2003 4:08 PM
  Subject: x x

  Hi Isaac:

  Bonjour. Comment ca va? Je fait castilles en Espagne?

  I have a piano, donated to our little white church in the village, the name on the decal is VOSE & Sons. It was made in the 70's by Aeolian, Tennesee. A drop action. I think the cabinet design was very well thought out. Other than that, it won't hold it's tune, and it's terrible.

  I remember when I worked for the music store, we shipped in a whole truckload of these inexpensive pianos, the driver came directly from there to here, thousands of miles, from Tennesee to BC. In the early 80's, they were sold for about $1,200.00.

  It won't hold it's tune, and I can't figure out why. Looking down from the top with the lid open, the pin block seems very good material, twelve ply heart and second growth.

  Because it is the Church, I figured, well, I'll give them a break and do something nice for them. I repinned the whole thing, for a fraction of the cost.

  The pins feel pretty good. It still won't hold it's tune. What's wrong? Should I have gone two sizes larger to #4? The pressure bar is solid, and seems the right angle. What else?

  All the screws are tight, otherwise it seems a normal piano.

  Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

  Kenny Finlayson, RPT