Baldwin

Richard Strang rstrang@pa.inter.net
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 16:10:36 -0500

List,
  I just ordered the bass strings from Arledge, since Arledge has been
mentioned by a couple of you. James Arledge was very pleased to hear about
his good reputation. Unfortunately, the Balwin I am going to work on is from
a year close to where Baldwin changed the stringing scheme, so I have to
take some measurements and send them to him. I may have to send a paper
trace of the bass area too, but for now, just the measurements will do. I am
hoping he will do a good job of rescaling.
   As to your question, Ron, it is a valid one. Why would I try harder on
the ambassador's piano, than on the old lady's next door? I am sorry I gave
that impression, as I try VERY hard on every job. The old lady next door may
know a whole lot more people than the ambassador, too, right? Word of mouth
is ones best advertizer.
   Thank you all for your input. I will be sure to keep you informed as to
how the  job goes.

Regards,
Richard Strang

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Ron Nossaman
Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2003 11:50 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: Baldwin

>Can you recommend an exacting string maker? I'd sure like this piano to
>sound as good as it can. It sits in the living room of the U.S. ambassador
>to Panama.

Mapes is quite capable of making a good set of strings, as is Arledge or
Sanderson. The question is making them to what specifications? That's the
rescaling Terry was talking about.

And, incidentally, why is it more important that the piano sound good for
the U.S ambassador to Panama than if it was for the widow Iris Flowers from
Grand Junction, who would be spending the same money for similar
expectations? I've always wondered about this sort of distinction.

Ron N