falcone value

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 07:18:34 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of J Patrick Draine
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 6:26 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: falcone value

On Wednesday, July 23, 2003, at 12:04 AM, Tom Driscoll wrote:

List,

I need advice concerning value of a 1986  6'1" Falcone grand. My client
has asked me to find a buyer but we seem to have over estimated value
.An  Advertisement @ 18K in a majorBostonpaper received no response.

I can't offer a number either, but perhaps the client should consider
computing the piano's original purchase price against the depreciation
schedule published by Steve Brady (and I think used in Larry Fine's book
as well). And then take into consideration any aspects of the piano
which may be less than perfect. Or perhaps that's how you came up with
your number in the first place?
Patrick Draine

            Patrick,

            I use that schedule myself, but it uses the replacement cost
as a benchmark to depreciate from. As this piano is no longer in
production the challenge is to find the cost of a new piano that is
close in design and performance and" cache".

            Often when you factor the increase in cost of lets say a
Steinway M @ 15 to 20 years old, and run the depreciation schedule
(assuming good condition) the calculation will give result in a dollar
value very close to the original purchase price.

            That was my rational for the asking price but without result
as I mentioned in my earlier post.

            Thanks for the input Pat. See you soon.

            Tom Driscoll