soundboardinstal again

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:13:43 -0400

> It has been. Or, I can determine the bridge height at C-8 by measurement
> determined by string height, make the bridge in it's entirety from that and
> my pattern, and put the thing in. I've also made bridges from just the
> original bridge  height, my pattern, and the crown under load estimates
> produced by my spreadsheet with no problem. I don't want to do the
> "traditional" bearing setting method of gouging the bridge cap and planing
> it down. I want to put a laminated cap of pre-determined thickness on a
> bridge of pre-determined thickness and put it in the piano a minimum number
> of times. I'm a long way from being efficient, but I'd rather do a little
> more planning and a little less physical labor if I possibly can.

I kinda-sorta did the same thing on my recent job and was real happy with the outcome. I made the bridge root thicker than needed (keep in mind this was my first bridge! - lots of idiot-proofing procedures built into the approach - although not enough!) and made the laminated (5-ply) bridge cap separately. I measured the bridge cap thickness (if I recall correctly, it was about 10 or 11 mm). Then I made up a nice little block of wood the same thickness of the bridge cap. I simply planed the bridge root down to the thickness where the root plus the wooden cap block produced the desired downbearing in that section. Once all that was set, I epoxy (the epoxy man striketh) cap (laminated with epoxy, of course)on and preserve the integrity of the laminated cap. Very, very happy with this process. I don't have the action done on this piano yet (have to rebuild action and keys, etc. yet), but by plucking, there appears to not be one single false beat. Gosh, I hope I am not speaking to early on this!!!

Terry Farrell