soundboardinstal again

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 11:30:40 +0200

Ron,

Me think (may be wrongly) that on the opposite, the fact that a so
small dimension is involved show us the importance of a better joint
(last news from the day !)

The inserting under tension of the soundboard seem the only way to
have some tension in the panel, in the rib direction (across grain)
the modulus of elasticity is said to be 3 Kg cm2 vs. 100 Kg cm2 in
direction of grain.
So if we wish to have some tension in the panel that looks like a
convenient method, more than compression crowning.

Stephen have forced back some boards with shims on the straight side
with good results he say, when we see the dimensions involved, that
looks like a possibility.

The panel is said to be shaped with 1 cm more than the internal size
of the rim, was said. If possible a soundboard that should be pinched
in the rim should work better from an acoustical point of view (a very
good joke to future rebuilders !)

Idem on the belly rail, while some brands have stopped the insertion
there (Seiler for instance).
But I seem to understand that in the actual conception in the USA the
soundboard assembly is viewed as an auto supported device is not it ?

Greetings

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.

PianoTech