Flange Center Friction Increase

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 23:54:28 +0200

I agree, at this moment I just have read a complete course on repining
that was gently given to me by the Renner's people, and some points
that I find important just appears.
1° Always put back a center pin in the same direction it was inserted
at first - as pinning is generally done by a machine with short center
pins, the insertion direction is where the pin is yet plated, or the
opposite is where we can see the cutting marks.

When reaming , always ream in the same direction, to keep the fiber in
line.

Always burnish, also the same direction - for that reason it is
considered a better method to use the long center pin, when, inserted
all along and passing thru the flange (with pliers a good straight one
pass move is considered) , they burnish the bushing and we avoid the
use of the burnished.

A support is used to hold the flange, a lithe strong plank with a saw
line at the top (and a little metal plate if wanted)

Since then, I have done 3 pinning jobs, with a much better
consistency, and avoiding the need to go thru 2 sizes when one was
enough.

I have taken back in service the set of long (2") center pins I had.
For some reason I had stopped using them, as many techs here, using
them gives a very good feel on what goes on in the flange, much more
than with the little ones, so I'll keep that method for the moment.
Having to pass thru with a long wire may look tedious, but in fact it
is done easily, with a little force because of the Birdseye (when
there is one) flat pliers and the wooden support make that job easier
than I thought at first (and it was the original method I learned, as
usual, back to the old good methods ;>)

About Birdseye too free, this is not a defect I see often, very rarely
in fact. I believe it arise when the pinning is done too late (or if
the wood used is not fine grained enough) if the hammers are not
traveling in a "straight" line also, that makes for a lot of problems
sooner or later.
Nowadays that seem to be the problem with Terrys flanges.

Best to all, and think of your holidays now !

Isaac O

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et réparation de pianos.

PianoTech