soundboardinstal again

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 23:38:42 +0200

Hello,

The soundboard installation as explained to me is forcing a bit more
from all around, because of the shape of the rim (belly ?) where the
ribs and the board are glued, the coming back of the moisture in the
assembly, and possibly the installation from the front with wedges or
any acceptable method to force the board in place.

On a the few Steinway I could measure I for sure never find a large
crown in the long direction, but does it mean the approach is useless
?

I believe that the place where the ribs are glued may be very tight,
around the panel, I am unsure it should add a lot (was said that the
little angle given top the belly was very important).

But any method that gives a security against the glue sag (give) is a
good one

K. Fenner is well known there and we yet wait for something he
described or say to be untrue - also because when he is unsure of
something he don't present it like the definitive truth, as himself is
considering that his views can enlighten or change with time !

The basic resistance and flexion model that where given in the PTJ
1968 journal (translation of a writing by Ulrich Laible, one of the
teachers of the German Ludwisgburg school) are relatively basic and
based on static material resistance, they don't take in account the
placement of the neutral fiber in the assembly, the fact that the ribs
are in compression and the panel in compression and tension, the
thinner end of the ribs, and so on. A friend of mine have written a
formula to compute the sag of a soundboard, but after evaluation it
does not work either, because he see the assembly like a range of "T"
made in an homogenous material.

We where just talking about that today, with the conclusion that the
computation are in fact useful only in the sense that if your ribbing
is in the parameters computed, the soundboard for sure will be stiff
enough.
But so much more data may be taken in account if one want to compute
the real down bearing counterforce available, that it should be a very
complicated task.
The list of parameters that should be added to obtain a figure that
should be near the reality may be pretty important.

I've been surprised that some rule of thumb does not exist (to my
knowledge) on how to shape the end of the ribs to get the flexibility
and the spring effect (and why the ribs where considered as
rectangular all along in the precedent formula)

Do some of you tone builders play with the ribs stiffness once they
are glued on the panel , evaluating what you get by feel and
craftsmanship ? before gluing the panel ? after ?

Best Regards and thanks for your comments.

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.

PianoTech
17 rue de Choisy