soundboardinstal again

Danny Boddin danny.boddin@pandora.be
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 21:49:59 +0200

Ron Nossaman wrote on 19 07 :
'It's quicker and easier to work directly with the panel, rather than a
pattern. And you don't have to worry about filling any gap between the
panel edge and the outer rim. It's utterly unimportant acoustically or
structurally, and the only reason to fill it might be for looks. '

I had lately a conversation with Claus Fenner.  If I understand well he was
explaining  about
 the way Steinway Hamburg installs their soundboards: since the rim is first
made they force the board
for the last millimeters  into the rim , push it,  really stress  it  into
the rim , tight fit, no gaps
 and this should be the difference between Steinway and other brands. That
way in killer octave
(should be the stiffest part of the soundboard) the board can better resist
to downbearing and
produce this Steinwaysound. Or did I misunderstood this?

Danny Boddin
Ternat Belgium