Baldwin

Sat, 19 Jul 2003 11:30:45 -0700

How old was the Baldwin M? Did it have vertical hitches? If so, welcome =
to the wonderful world of SynchroTone strings--the core and wrap sizes =
tend to jump all over the place. Hence, so does inharmonicity and the =
harmonic structure of the strings. It's not really random, it just seems =
that way. These pianos are a good reason to work on one's aural tuning =
skills. Especially in the bass.

Del
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Strang=20
  To: pianotech (E-mail)=20
  Sent: July 18, 2003 1:26 PM
  Subject: Baldwin

  Hi, all,
    I just took a vacation back in Illinois, and while I was there, I =
tuned my brother's Baldwin M grand. I brought my Sat lll along just for =
the occasion.
     Everything went fine with the tuning until I reached the first =
single string in the bass. I put it where the Sat said to put it, but it =
didn't sound right. My brother has a better musical ear than I and said =
it sounded sharp. Aurally, it was tuned 6:3 as it should, but there was =
a strong beat higher up. That piano and my brother were not satisfied =
until I tuned those last 10 strings 12:6! Can you imagine? Have any of =
you ran into a similar situation? It sounded good that way, so that's =
the way it stayed.

  Richard