Baldwin

Fri, 18 Jul 2003 13:24:54 -0700

I used the SATIII for a few years after tuning aurally for a couple decades (I am using the Verituner now), and I often found that there were changes necessary from what the machine gave.  The SATIII creates a scale based on only three notes and there are many times when alterations are required.  I always verified by ear and did what my ear told me, especially through the bass/tenor break.  Even now I always at least play the octave after setting the note to the machine--and I usually go through and check the thirds and tenths progression through the piano when I am done (not helpful in WT).  Trust your ears if you have to choose.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Strang
To: pianotech (E-mail)
Sent: 7/18/2003 1:15:49 PM
Subject: Baldwin

Hi, all,
  I just took a vacation back in Illinois, and while I was there, I tuned my brother's Baldwin M grand. I brought my Sat lll along just for the occasion.
   Everything went fine with the tuning until I reached the first single string in the bass. I put it where the Sat said to put it, but it didn't sound right. My brother has a better musical ear than I and said it sounded sharp. Aurally, it was tuned 6:3 as it should, but there was a strong beat higher up. That piano and my brother were not satisfied until I tuned those last 10 strings 12:6! Can you imagine? Have any of you ran into a similar situation? It sounded good that way, so that's the way it stayed.

Richard