brass flanges

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:27:55 -0600

Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 7:47 PM
Subject: Re: brass flanges

> To the best of my knowledge, the main beef with brass rails/flanges is
that they tend to get brittle and break. Perhaps someone may argue that
wooden flanges have the advantage of allowing a small amount of adjustment
in the mounting position for hammer spacing. If yours has no broken flanges,
then you've got a tough decision - how long will the brass last & how long
do you expect the piano to last?

> I've used Bill Surlock's method of conversion to wooden flanges utilizing
a thin brass rod. I wasn't overly happy with the results (the flanges are
kinda hanging on by a thread it seems) - results may vary with exact wooden
flange rail configuration. Next time I do a conversion, I will consider
routing out a little wedge from the rail and epoxy in a new piece of
properly shaped maple - that way I'll have a better/more stable surface to
mount the flanges on.

> Terry Farrell

cord then catching the hammer return spring?
> If it is, All the damper assemblies have to be installed after the cords
are hooked up.
> Joe Goss
> imatunr@srvinet.com
> www.mothergoosetools.com

They all work good. My question is should the brass flanges be changed to
wood? If so why?  Is the reason for changing the flanges because they break
or is there something more?