LA Times Story - Text

Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:39:05 -0700

Here's the text for those who don't want to register.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

Piano Tuner Blues
Those who keep our ivories in key are rarely in sync themselves, especially
when debating whether to work digitally or by ear.
By Paul Pringle
Times Staff Writer

July 15, 2003

A note about piano tuners: They often are not in accord.

Tuners can't agree whether their ranks resonate with talent or reek of the
tone-deaf. A professional guild sets the bar for training, but most tuners
won't join it.

Many are sharply critical of how piano owners treat their instruments — and
their tuners. Others flatly don't care, as long as the customer pays scale.

And nothing stirs more dissonance in the do-re-mi trade than the debate
over tuning by ear versus tuning by technology.

The dispute predates the Digital Age — electronic tuners debuted in the
1930s — but has grown louder as software becomes increasingly popular on
the job. The Kansas City, Mo.-based Piano Technicians Guild says computers
are now used by at least half the 10,000 tuners who service America's 18
million pianos.

"Piano tuners love to argue," said Jim Ogden, 55, a La Cañada Flintridge
resident who got into the business nine years ago. "It's just endless."

Cyber-tuning has drawn a line between the likes of Richard Davenport and
Ron Elliott, who otherwise have much in common. They occupy the upper range
of Los Angeles tuners, with a combined six decades of experience, big-name
clients, and steady gigs at recording studios and concert halls.

The similarities stop when they lift the piano lid and go to work.

Davenport's routine is to wrestle a laptop from his gear bag, place it
gently on the piano's cast-iron plate, and power up a program that displays
a spinning green disc that measures the pitches of the 88 keys. Davenport
watches it as he tunes.

Elliott simply tilts his head toward the strings and listens. His tools are
sleeved in a handyman's roll pouch. None requires batteries.

"I've always tuned by ear," he said.

Elliott stood over a nine-foot Steinway on the darkened stage of the
Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. His task was to improve the "feel" of the piano
for soloist Richard Goode.

Elliott tugged his tuning hammer — a misnamed wrench — this way and that on
the pin of a B-flat string, adjusting it by hair-widths, while pounding the
key. The B flat reverberated like a pipe banging in a storm drain, only
purer.

"There are a lot of people who use electronic tuners," said Elliott, a
soft-spoken 51-year-old with clipped, graying hair. He wore a suit and tie.
"Maybe they never really learned to tune by ear." He said no computer can
"hear" the subtle tonal differences between two pianos, or along the
multi-string unisons within a single instrument.

Elliott also said the gadgets can't "stretch the octaves," making the bass
flatter and treble sharper — to suit a performer's taste.

"A machine is very rigid," said the Pasadena resident. "Tuning is creative."

Elliott has tuned the Music Center's pianos for 17 years. He drifted into
the craft after studying piano.

It took him an hour to sweeten the Steinway. The piano is tuned before
every concert. Household pianos typically are tuned once a year.

"Richard Goode is a very sensitive player," Elliott said as he tinkered
with the Steinway's felt hammers. They bounced on the Swedish-steel strings
like woodpeckers peppering bark. Elliott jabbed one hammer with a needle —
"sugar-coating" it — to render the string less strident.

Goode appeared from the gloom just as Elliott finished. The impish-faced
pianist wanted another rehearsal before that night's performance.

Music to His Ears

Elliott hurriedly collected his tools and retreated backstage. After
tearing into a Mozart concerto, Goode complimented Elliott. "Ron is one of
my favorites," he said. Elliott was visibly pleased.

It's all about the ear, Elliot said later.

"When you start using a machine, you are allowed to become kind of lazy,"
he added. "You don't really have to pay attention to what you're doing. The
machine becomes a crutch."

That view prevails at some prestigious music academies, including the
Juilliard School, as well as at Steinway & Sons.

"We don't use electronic tuners here and we don't advise any of our
technicians to use them," said Ron Coners, chief concert technician for
Steinway in New York. "We feel you do not train your ear well enough
because you're relying on the machine."

That's Luddite nonsense, said Davenport. He described gizmos such as
Accu-Tuner, and software packages like CyberTuner, as aids for the ear, not
substitutes.

"It's just so absurd to say that, because you're using a machine, you're
not tuning aurally," he said.

The Brentwood resident ventured into tuning after earning a music degree at
Occidental College and teaching junior high school.

He said that electronic tuning cuts wear and tear on the ear, saving it for
the finer adjustments, and that his customers appreciate the precision.

"The folks who aren't using it aren't necessarily the best tuners," he said
in a deep voice that fits his bearish frame. Davenport, 55, has a geeky
enthusiasm for the mathematics of music; algorithms interest him almost as
much as rhythms.

On a recent night, he took his laptop to Fox Studios in Century City, where
he tunes in a hangar-sized scoring stage. He opened his computer on the rib
cage of a 1928 Steinway. The piano sat in a forest of music stands,
microphones and guitar racks, above an undergrowth of floor cables.

Davenport focused on the spinning disc, a CyberTuner feature. He was
preparing the piano for an episode of "The Simpsons." A small orchestra
would record 40 bits of music — cues — to a videotape of the show. Michael
Lang would be on the Steinway.

"I just had a broken string — the high A," Davenport said, as he eyed the
whirling circle. A clockwise spin meant the new string was sharp,
counterclockwise flat.

Davenport nudged the pin with his wrench and punched the key. The disc
froze and the screen blushed, signaling that the A was just right.

"I try to keep the piano in the middle," Davenport said. He polished the
tuning with his ear, tightening or loosening the odd string in tiny
increments. "It's not too bright, not too dead."

Lang, a robust man in a flowered shirt, arrived at the studio shortly
before the orchestra warmed up. "I'm spoiled," he said of Davenport's
tunings.

Picky Performers

But he also made clear that even the top tuners can't deliver the flawless
tones a pianist craves. "I used to sit down and play and hear the
imperfections," Lang said. "And I'd remember them and they'd bother me."
Davenport tried to smile.

The subject of picky performers — not to mention software-averse tuners —
comes up regularly at Davenport's backyard workshop, where he and three
colleagues gather once a week to restore pianos. On this afternoon, the
workshop discussion became a group gripe about the tuning life, to the
accompaniment of a Beethoven violin concerto floating from the stereo.

"You spend all day with people and they never call you back," said Pamella
Consoli, 52, a Claremont tuner.

Kayoko Forrest, 44, a Santa Monica resident who learned to tune as a piano
saleswoman, complained about dogs in customers' homes that relieved
themselves on her leg.

Mark Abbott Stern, 73, who began tuning in Beverly Hills after retiring as
an aerospace engineer, lamented that piano owners don't know when to toss
inexpensive or dilapidated instruments — especially family heirlooms.
(Other tuners tell war stories of finding rats, rotting food and even
stashes of cash in the guts of pianos.)

"The emotional attachment to a piano goes way beyond its real value," Stern
said. "You can't get them to sound the way you want them to. The keys just
ooze down." He splayed his fingers and lowered them slowly.

"It's like arthritis," Davenport said.

"Rigor mortis," Stern said.

Forrest nodded: "If a piano is cheap, it plays like a Mack truck."

The topic of tuner competence popped up. "There are literally clowns in
this business," Davenport said.

He and the others pointed out that virtually anyone can become a tuner, and
it's easier than ever because of the computer option. The devices and
software sell for around $350 to $1,600; a tuning session usually pays $80
to $200.

Tuners can get started with a correspondence course. The more-ambitious
novices undergo a multiyear apprenticeship with a veteran tuner.

"We get a lot of music teachers, musicians whose careers didn't quite take
off. This is a way to stay in the field," said Barbara Cassaday, executive
director of the tuners guild. "But it takes two years of full-time
training."

Not necessarily, said Walt Eckstein, 68, a Palmdale tuner and former
Assemblies of God pastor who charges $895 for a six-week course — 24 hours
total. "It teaches all the basics," he said.

Eckstein said he considers every customer, no matter how fussy, a friend.
And he downplayed talk of disharmony in the tuner world.

"I haven't heard much of that," he said.

Stuart Isacoff has heard plenty.

The New Jersey pianist and author published a 2001 book that celebrated the
18th-century introduction of equal temperament, the now-standard tuning
system for bringing all 88 tones into harmony.

"People are still attacking me over it," said Isacoff, who also edits Piano
Today magazine.

In "Temperament," Isacoff writes that the debate preceding the adoption of
the system — in which each tone on the keyboard is equidistant from the
ones before and after it — had engaged the minds of Sir Isaac Newton,
astronomer Johannes Kepler and mathematician-philosopher Rene Descartes.

When his book hit the shelves, Isacoff came under fire from devotees of
Baroque-era tunings or new variations of them, which produce richer sounds
on a limited number of tones. They denounce equal temperament as a
corrupting compromise.

'Tuning Taliban'

"I decided to write the book after I began learning there were all these
battles over tuning," Isacoff said. "Small groups of people think it's
evil. I call them the 'Tuning Taliban.' "

Ogden, the La Cañada Flintridge tuner, has a theory on why such tiffs
persist.

"When you work by yourself, you're the final, ultimate check," he said.
"There are no committee decisions. Piano tuners tend to be loners,
nonconformist."

He was tuning a 1908 Wellington upright at the home of a Glendale chemistry
teacher. The piano was partially dismantled, its sculpted panels resting on
the dining room floor. Ogden, who uses CyberTuner, directed a flashlight at
the innards, illuminating rust and dust.

"And you have to be weird," he said, "to keep your head in a piano all day."

If you want other stories on this topic, search the Archives at
latimes.com/archives.
Click here for article licensing and reprint options