High or Low

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 00:06:50 -0400

At 4:42 PM -0500 7/16/03, Avery Todd wrote:
>>Probably really easy to do IF you know how to do it!!!!!!! :-)
>>
>>Avery
>>
>>At 10:40 PM 07/15/03 -0400, you wrote:
>If I understand correctly, you wish to be able to determine the
>tension on strings in a piano? Just measure the diameter of the
>string, measure the speaking length, measure the pitch, and
>calculate the tension.

Well, and ETD by itself doesn't know how to do it. The only string
attributes it can measure are frequency and inharmonicity. To get
tension (what Jim is looking for) one needs speaking length and
diameter. The latter is usually stamped on the plate, but the first
has to be measured with a ruler. Not quite in a ETD's feature set.

I agree, Jim, it would be interesting to see what overall tension
levels corresponded to in the dimension of tone quality. But before
that we have to measure tension loads in many pianos. With a ruler.
After looking for a correspondence, we might realize that tension
load was but one of the variables/ingredients in the mix.

Evaluating string scales without speaking lengths is kind of like
discussing key ratio and FW, without reading SW.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Round here we don't talk unless we can improve on the silence."
     ...........Ron Rude, local Public Radio Commentator.