Caution on air travel and Kudos for Ruth Phillips

Dave Smith dsmith941@comcast.net
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:18:35 -0400

I wanted to pass along this short story.  I attended Ruth's class on
Polyester scratch and dent treatment in Dallas.  Great course.
Unfortunately, the zealous checked-bag police checked the bag in which I had
packed the polyester repair kit which was part of the course in Dallas.  All
items in my kit were packed unopened, but of course some of them had the big
H, for hazardous material, marking on the bottles.  You know, the small
bottles of various grit polishes, and the poly base and  hardeners.  After I
got home and unpacked, I found the expensive stuff had apparently been
confiscated and was replaced by a single of paper titled "Hazardous Material
Discovery",  which was only partilally filled out.  Apparently the chemicals
were deemed dangerous and confiscated.  I called the US Govt 800 number on
the form, and left a message, but have not had a return call yet.    I was 3
hours early for the flight, and there was no attempt to reach me at the gate
or whatever.  I suppose this is a sign of the times.

Ruth Phillips, on the other hand, responded immediately.  She was surprised
that this had happened, as this was the first reported instance.  She also
offered to REPLACE the materials for me.  They arrived today, along with the
other stuff I had bought in Dallas from Ruth.  They plan to ship the
materials vis ups in the future.

I just wanted to let you all know of:

    1.   The risk of traveling with the customary refinishing stuff.

    2.   The wonderful response of Ruth Phillips.  This company is a CLASS
ACT.

Dave Smith
SW FL Associate