High or Low

James Grebe pianoman@accessus.net
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 06:10:49 -0500

Hi,
again, I am just trying to get an idea of how high is high, comparatively
from one piano to another as far as overall tension levels being reflected
by some measurement of inharmonicity levels found in stretch levels.
Thanks
James Grebe
Piano Tuner-Technician
Wood Artisan
Established 1962
Creator  of Wooden Artifacts such as:
Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups
Handsome Hardwood Piano  Benches
314 845-8282
1526 Raspberry Lane
Arnold, MO 63010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 9:40 PM
Subject: Re: High or Low

> If I understand correctly, you wish to be able to determine the tension on
strings in a piano? Just measure the diameter of the string, measure the
speaking length, measure the pitch, and calculate the tension.

> Terry Farrell

local Steinway dealer about the low tension scales on Steinway grands and
the higher tension scales on Yamaha's.  I have believed in the past that
Steinways had higher tension scales and that was a big reason why they are
loud pianos and strong in power as compared to Yamahas which seem to have a
sweeter, more airy sound.  Likewise the European pianos.  I always
associated low tension with this airy, sweet sound.  It appears that I may
have been wrong in having this opinion.  I was thinking there was some way
to empirically gather info on the amount of inharmonicity a group of
selected notes on the piano would have and interpolate from there where the
tension would be.  I guess it is not as simple as that.  This, however, also
clouds the air as there is no way to tell individually the overall tension
on a scale by just taking some inharmonmicity readings..  I guess there is
no way to uncloud claims of dea!