Diagnose This! (A puzzler)

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 00:17:31 -0400

At 9:01 PM -0500 7/15/03, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>A question of my own. How is it your not all that long post is 16k
>long, but Avery's reply, with your post included in it's entirety,
>is only 5k long?
>
>16+2=5
>
>E-math.

I bet it's those eccentric apostrophes he's sending out. As rendered
by my Eudora, his open-quotes are lower case "i"s with the dot
replaced by an accent aigu (?) (you know, the "4 o'clock" accent).
Closed quotes, the dot is replaced by a "^". A comma is an upper case
"O" with an umlaut. The apostrophe is the lower case "i" with an
accent grave for a dot. (I can't find my high school French textbook.
Can you tell?)

Alan, are you writing your emails in MS Word, or something else which
has "smart quotes"? Or are we looking at 2-bit encryption.

Mr. Bill

"Baa, Ram Ewe....Baa, Ram Ewe,
To your breed, To your fleece, To your clan be true
Sheep be true.......Baa, Ram, Ewe"
     ...........Conversation starter in uncertain social situations