Diagnose This! (A puzzler)

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 20:32:05 -0500

Piano: Late model Geo. Steck small grand.=20
=20
The Problem: G#3 failing to play on a hard blow.
=20
Observations: Plays with perfect reliability on soft blows but misses
almost every time on hard blows (jumps up a little but no where near the
string).
=20
Possible causes eliminated:
=20
1.       Key stick is NOT cracked or broken
2.       =93Catcher Interference=94 ruled out by the umpire=97hammer =
tail is
NOT snaggin=92 or draggin=92 on the buckskin.=20
3.       Hammer, shank, and knuckle are fine. Observed, from marks on
the knuckle, that it was only resting on one side of the rep lever.
Hammer not centered well on strings either. Adjusted the lateral
position of both hammer and rep lever to better align everything. Had no
effect on the problem. (Before you squawk, the piano is pretty new; the
hammers virtually grooveless*.)=20
4.       Examined whippen assy. No problem with flanges or centers. No
cracked or broken parts. Nothing missing. Nothing unhooked or out of its
slot, etc. All in like new condition.
=20
Clues:=20
=20
1.	Let off was early (maybe 3/8=94) and turning the adjusting dowel
didn=92t seem to change the letoff point. Hmmm =85
2.	Jack height was good but jack was too far forward. Aha! Jack
isn=92t getting fully under the knuckle and is tripping out so fast on a
hard blow that there is nothing to lift the hammer! Yes, yes!
3.	Turned the jack regulating screw =85 jack did not move any further
back. I could push it back, but it just came forward again when
released.
4.	The wippen spoon was bent a little, more angled than on
neighboring whippens =85 almost as though someone (factory?) was trying =
get that jack into position. Straightened the spoon. No help. Turned the
regulating screw until the felt and dowel were no longer even touching
the spoon. Jack stayed right where it was.
=20
Hint: I had to remove the jack to fix the trouble but there was no
problem, whatsoever, with the jack. In reinstalling the jack, I used a
certain tool that I already had at hand =85 (what a giveaway!)
=20
Puzzler: If I said any more, it wouldn=92t be a puzzler now would it? =
What
simple thing was necessary to restore this key to full power and proper
regulation?=20
=20
Prize: One of my regular clients. (Note: I get to pick which one, and I
have someone specific in mind.)
=20
(To Joe Garrett: Thanks, Joe. And feel free to submit an entry.)
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO
=20
*Grooveless? Like, wow, Man, that is so un-glad. I am, like, totally
bummed for you. I really feel for that felt. Have a flower.

---