New board old rim

Mike Bratcher MBratPianos@indy.rr.com
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:55:30 -0500

Hi folks,

I'm rather new to rebuilding. I plan on installing a new soundboard in a =
little grand.  This is a Baldwin from the early 40's. I just got the =
board out today and noticed the mortises in the rim aren't even close to =
pointing where they should be.  If I hold a straight edge across where =
the ribs should be I find the mortises are pointing 20 to 30 degrees =
off.  I went back to the board and sure enough, the installer chopped =
off the corners of the ribs to make them fit.

Question, do I do what the original installer did and hack the corners =
off the ribs or do I try to correct the rim.

Mike Bratcher