lessons learned

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:43:24 -0500

>I have long wondered how many experienced piano technicians can definitely
>tell the difference between, say, A435 and A440 without some sort of
>reference.  I wish there were some way to test this.

There's a way to cut the testing down to a minimum right away. Ask. If they
say they can't tell, you save having to test them. Test only those that say
they can. You're off the hook with me, since my pitch isn't anywhere near
perfect, and It's been requested that I never try to run bases again -
ever. It's just too sad to watch.

But I still don't consider a piano to be in tune unless it's up to pitch,
whether it's being used for hymns or not.

Ron N