lessons learned

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Sun, 13 Jul 2003 17:56:46 -0400 (EDT)

> rust. And using tuning oil to break up the rust. I do have a
> reccommended product in mind.
> Joe Goss

Is that something you sell? I would be interested in knowing what it is.

I have had success using Protec in one of those squirt bottles with the
tiny opening. I gently run the tip along the string contact points before
tuning, and it applies just the right amount. It worked great on a 120
cent pitch raise with rust on the strings! But alas, there is nothing I
could do to prevent a string breakage at the tuning pin.

Now I've got those auto brake line tubes, so I'm ready for the next
breakage.  Bring it on! By the way, when I bought those tubes at the auto
store, some guy commented, "Well, it looks like someone has his work cut
out for him this afternoon!" Then I started thinking about what it might
take to replace such a brake lining in a car... I nodded as if that's what
I was off to do.

Charles Neuman
PTG Assoc, Long Island