Strange bridge in a Steinway

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:20:05 -0500

>So, here we go back to the straight-strung pianos?

Nothing inherently wrong with flat stringing.

>I have been thinking about this a bit, and it seems a clever design, if it
>avoids the bass bridge being placed too close to the rim (by angling the
>strings a lot to the right, to place the bridge towards the center of the
>board), or uses a floating soundboard along the straight side at the end of
>the bass bridge (like in old straight strung Pleyels).
>This way you could have a much better board, where strings and bridges with
>different impedance requirements won't need to share the same board area. Or
>am I missing something?
>
>  Calin Tantareanu

There has been extensive and repeated discussion on the list about moving
bass bridges forward (In an existing piano, you can't do much about the
overstring angle and lateral placement of the bass bridge) and floating the
soundboard in the tail. It has been done, is being done, and works quite
well, especially with a third bridge added as a transition between the bass
and tenor.

Ron N