ratio question

Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:03:56 +0200

A440A@aol.com wrote:

>  Richard asks:
> << Can a (for the sake of example) 6.0 static weight ratio ala Stanwood
> result in differing distance ratios ? >>
>
>   If you mean, can a 6.0 ratio be found with various keydips or with various
> hammer blow distances?  Yes.

Well not exactly...   rather I was asking whether the ratio of  vertical keydistance
moved to vertical  hammer movement  can vary while the weight ratio stays the
same.... perhaps thats what you meant above.

> Which brings up another question that I am not
> seeing asked.....
>
>     Why is there is a distinct difference in feel between two actions that
> achieve the same ratio with different knuckle distances?  Ie.  you can arrive at
> the same overall action ratio with a 15.5 mm knuckle distance and a short key
> ratio as you can with a 17 mm knuckle distance and a longer key ratio, but
> the response of these two actions are NOT the same.
>     I have certain ideas about finding the optimum combination, but I confess
> to making many of my final decisions on hard-to-quantify feedback I get from
> the piano.

This is a very good question and was more or less where I was going with my own
leadin question.. Hard to quantify to be sure, or rather very  time consuming. I
look forward to hearing some differeing views