Strange bridge in a Steinway

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 13 Jul 2003 11:08:50 -0500

At 06:08 AM 7/13/2003, Terry wrote:
>And why, on some models, do they have a continuous bridge root between the
>tenor end of the long bridge and the bottom end of the bass bridge? It
>seems this would only serve to increase stiffness in this area.

It does, and couples the mass of the bass strings to the low tenor bridge.
It's attempted compensation for a soundboard assembly with too low
impedance in the low tenor. The tradeoff is that it restricts the low bass
in the process. Better to have left the bridges separate and build a
soundboard that doesn't need crippling of the bass to salvage the low tenor.

>Now I wonder if there is a design out there that has the tenor cutouts AND
>the connector between the two bridges?

Steinway models B and D, in current production.

>Perhaps that would serve to complete the "circle of sound" without making
>things too stiff in that area? We throw that phrase around so much, I
>don't even really know its origin - was it part of a manufacturer's
>marketing campaign?
>
>Terry Farrell

Yes, I think so. Bill Garlick gave me hell for suggesting plate bushings in
Steinways because it disrupted the Circle of Sound. The Sound is supposed
to go from the strings to the bridges to the soundboard to the rim to the
beams to the Tone Collector to the plate horn to the pinblock to the tuning
pins to the strings. I asked how that worked with nearly all of the pins
leaning on the plate, and how that sound got past that understring cloth
and the agraffes (ignoring everything else), and the subject promptly moved
on to something else.

In a whole lot (most?) of the pianos I tune, that area is already too
flexible, and it doesn't have a thing to do with the stiffness of the
bridge. It's the stiffness and mass of the assembly that makes the
difference. Low impedance (in the low tenor) soundboard assembly and poor
scaling are the primary reasons for those lousy sounding tubby low tenors
we fight every day.

> > And if more flexibility is needed for the end of the long bridge, what
> about
> > the bass bridge?
> > That one is normally taller = stiffer (this is probably compensated by it's
> > short length) and sits in most pianos closer to the rim than the end of the
> > long bridge. Why not make the bass bridge more flexible too?
> >
> >  Calin Tantareanu

That's part of the problem and challenge of soundboard design. The low end
of the bass bridge is very close (in proximity on the board) to the low end
of the tenor bridge, yet they have considerably different soundboard
impedance requirements. The low bass needs lots of flexibility (usually
more than is available to it), and the low tenor needs more stiffness
(usually more than is available to it).

Ron N