string settling

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 17:09:25 EDT

Alan writes:

<< Inquiring mimes want to know:

shhhhh.....(:)}}

>>Does "...twisted in the direction of the
winding ..." mean clockwise or counter? Is the pin, perhaps, moving a
hair?>>

    I don't think the pin moves at all, there is not that much force
available.  I am twisting the pliars in the direction of the coil on the pin, move it
in the direction the winding.  This, in effect, is tightening the coil on the
pin, using the string tension that is on it.  There is a lot of friction
involved, ie, If you wrap a thick rope around a tree four or five times, you can
keep a truck from moving with your bare hands.  Without help,(the pliars), the
slack in the coil takes forever to move around the pin.

>> Is there a danger of nicking the wire with the grips? How do you
NOT get the becket involved since you must grab all three coils?  <<

    I haven't seen any evidence of nicks on the coils, and I have looked.
The becket should be pressed flat against the pin in the process of stringing.
I mentioned that earlier so we wouldn't be confused with pitch dropping due to
pushing the becket in.
   Try it and see.
regards,

Ed Foote RPT