string settling

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 15:02:34 EDT

Mike writes:
<<  To the extent that we can tighten these bends during stringing,
the initial tunings will be less unstable.  Even in the best scenario,
these bends continue to "improve" for several tunings/years, until they
eventually settle down and are less of a factor than all the other things
which cause pianos to go out of tune. >>

Greetings,
   I wondered where all the flattness came from in a new string.
   There are several places where the loss of pitch is measurable.
Installing a new string on C5 of a Hamburg B, (recording studio piano that was to be
used that day),  I pulled it up 20 cents sharp and left it there for the rest of
the tuning. Then I went back and measured it, finding it to have fallen on
its own to 4 cents sharp.  I lightly tapped the hitch pin area and the aliquot
bends fore and aft and it went just below pitch, (I'm guessing it was no more
than 4 cents flat).  I pulled it up to 8 cents sharp and lightly tapped behind
the distal bridge pin and saw it drop another 3 cents.  Pulling it up to pitch
I tapped in front of the proximal bridge pin and it dropped another 3 cents.
Pulling it up to pitch I then gently lifted the string in front of the Capo
bar and it dropped 5 cents.  Pulling it up again I then lifted the string
behind the capo bar and it dropped 3 cents.
   <sigh>  Pulled it up to 4 cents sharp and tapped front and back of the
string rest behind the capo bar and it fell another 3 cents. Pulled it up 4 cents
sharp and massaged the whole length of the string and nothing changed.  Ah,
I thought I had it!
   Then, on a thought, I took a small pair of vise-grips and grabbed the
coil, (not the becket, which I had flattened upon installation).  I applied a fair
amount of grip to the coil and twisted in the direction of the winding and
the string dropped 15 cents!
   I then pulled the string 8 cents sharp and beginning at the back, went
through the entire tapping from back to front.  It dropped 2 cents.  I twisted
the coil once more and it dropped another 2-3 cents.  I tuned the damn thing and
go out of there.  No call backs and the next day it was only about 1 or two
cents flat. I pulled it up and it has behaved like all the other strings ever
since.
   The coil would theoretically have an unlimited amount of drop, since the
friction around it would prevent the string right before the becket from ever
"seeing" the full tension.  I have since put the vise-grips on several pianos
that were 1-2 years old and every time, there is a significant drop in pitch.
I now incorporate this step after the other settling tapping has been done.
  On a sidenote,  the hitch pin coils on bass strings will, if given a gentle
squeeze and wiggle, usually produce a 10-20 cent drop on their own, even
after a year or two, so I go through them after the first several chippings and
before I begin tapping the bends further "downstream".  If the wire is going to
be moving toward the tuning pins that much, I don't want to deform it around
the bridgepins etc. before I relax the hitch pin coils.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/
 <A HREF="http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/399/six_degrees_of_tonality.html">