lessons learned

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 09:35:09 -0400

Tom,

Both are good lessons to remember.  We all know that experience is a
good teacher, although most of us hope to avoid learning that way, at
least in the sense you did.

Terry's response was good, as usual, so I won't repeat what he said.
The last time I worked on one of these buggers I talked with the owner
how repairs sometimes call for stressing the other parts a little, such
as pushing an upright jack a little to the side to get to the hammer
flange screw.  That normally works okay, but when working with brittle
plastic you can work your way into lots of unwanted additional work
right down the line.

And that's exactly what happened when I had to replace one of her damper
flanges.  I barely had to breathe on its neighbor and there she goes.
Since I had discussed the situation beforehand and gotten approval from
the owner, she paid for the work I did, but I left with one damper
flange still broken.  I pointed it out to her, but since the damper
still worked okay I couldn't see putting more money into the piano, and
she agreed.  A note on the service card now reads, "Don't touch this
piano again."  I hope I have enough fortitude when she calls again to
stick to that.

Regards, Clyde