Damper Zing

Fri, 11 Jul 2003 06:52:07 -0700

One other thing to consider is whether the strings show any corrosion in
this area.  Roughness on the string will also contribute to setting the
string to vibrating when the dampers are lifted.  Awhile back I had a
similar problem on a recording piano and went through all the motions you
are, though I trimmed with scissors.  In addition, I polished the strings
in the trichord damper area (you have to remove the dampers) using Flitz or
Noxon, I can't remember exactly, being careful to get in between the
strings.  Then I wiped on a thin film of Protek CPL.  This also seemed to
help a little.  I would be a little concerned ironing the felt that you end
up replacing the whoosh with a sizzle.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net