simple useful tip !

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 00:35:34 +0200

Hi Gordon,
We have to make this on some ancient French pianos (or German too)
where the rollers are more knuckles, or for some vertical.

I usually send the job to be done elsewhere, in Paris or in Germany,
and the water trick is what they use, indeed that allow to tense
easely leather or felt, then the gluing is easy.

I believe the leather can be thinned in a little drum sander with a
thickness guide, aint a difficult setup but you need a bench drill
press or something to hold the drum on a board (did not do that myself
actually)

If the parts can have new rollers, of course Ill go that way (with
shanks as well.
BTW are the US Steinway rollers difficult to remove, with the leather
glued at the base on the shank ?

When learning the job, every part was refurbished, new felts, new
centers, often new leathers.
These days we take new parts, the result is better most often !

Greetings.

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.

PianoTech