New soundboard for Pleyel

Danny Boddin danny.boddin@pandora.be
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:48:31 +0200

I included in this mail two pictures: one picture of the original soundboard
Pleyel °1900 and one
picture of a new soundboard for this piano I ordered at Tonewood Switserland
and came in yesterday.
Although Mr. Lardi from Tonewood got a plastic transparant plan with all
specifications on it and also got a fax which was a photo added with specs
about the position of the bridges, he made an error (compare the two
pictures) but  that's still no problem, nobody is perfect.
You notice in the basspart one rib which should be glued square on top of
the other ribs is missing. Mr Lardi was confused he told me by another order
I send him for of a Blüthner. Indeed this Blüthner doesn't has  this sqare
rib because that part in the soundboard  is supported from underneath.
Mr Lardi proposed me to make the missing rib today and he sended it right
away. We can shape it to original measures  and adjust it and he says the
support of crown will be as stable as in the original Pleyelsoundboard. But
we doubt... and will proceed after more advice please, thank you.
You can notice that there is one part of a rib, which is also missing, this
part is going down completely to the end and first passing under and adjust
and glued to this squared rim.
Our question is: the purpose of this rim?
We think Pleyel made it on purpose to support in a flexible way the
soundboard. It's like an umbrellastick elasticsupportinging ? We wonder
meaby it was not made a kind by accident,  'caus it was easy to let it long
that way  like Mr.Lardi explained me. And in Pleyel there's no support under
the soundboard at that spot. Will this construction like he proposes last
for normal time. Is it better to order another soundboard? Would you take
this risk?
Last question : Is it normal procedure that we also have to finish the rims
of this soundboards? You noticed they are not shaped at all.  Is what you
take of so important for sound, is there a standard for ribshaping?
Thanks for reply
Danny
Ternat Belgium

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...