Sharp key dip/height

Thu, 10 Jul 2003 08:59:51 -0700

Setting the sharp key height to 12.5 mm (1/2") generally works well for me.
However, there are times when the regulation specs might dictate or allow a
deviation from this.  Personally, I prefer the sharps as low as possible as
long as there is adequate height above the naturals when fully depressed
(2mm).  Lower sharps feel more secure and it's easier to get your fingers
between them when playing if they are lower.  Thus, the regulation
requirements can have an effect on how high you set them.  On a high
leverage piano where the dip tends to be less you can set the sharps lower
as long as you have 2 mm clearance above the naturals when fully depressed.
On a piano in which the dip requirements are greater, the sharps will have
to be set proportionately higher.   Since we see pianos whose action ratios
vary from the low 5's to the high 6's, and dip specs that often vary with
those differences, it makes more sense to adjust the sharp height
accordingly.  What you really want to avoid is the sharps burying below the
naturals when fully depressed.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net