A string's treatment

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 10:54:04 +0200

Stephen,

Thanks for your detailled point and explanations.
I noticed something in the tone of those Shimmels, which a re supposed
to use the process.

Yes the method is a little oversimplified, I understand you say it
works but not in the good direction.

At last someone have a good point of it.
Then, may be you also are missing something there.

As I said, the methopd have been developped by Klaus Fenner (doe not
mean it is a good solution), and given to me by another Stephen you
may know

I'll answer later, after having checked the points expressed.

Pesonally I should not say so but I am not found of the tone of
Shimmel. I recognize their quality and strongness of making but there
is some sort of strange brillance in their tone I have to ask if they
have been using the process and for how long.

I am very happy you answer me with your facts, - it was in fact
exactly "what I expected" I am not enough instructed in molecular
changes in piano strings that I can make up my mind easely on those
things.

On the other hand, if an interesting method exists if may be valuable
to some.

On concert instruments, the tone is generally too "green" during the
1 or 2 first years, then it settle, but still an instrument which is
maintened to standard pitch need much PR and tunings during its first
years. After 5 to 8 years it can begin to break strings often if too
much PR.

Having better toning is always the intention at last.

Best regards, I'll write later

Entretien et reparation de pianos.

PianoTech
17 rue de Choisy