What are they worth...really!?

Cy Shuster charter1400@charter.net
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 18:04:18 -0500

I can't help you, but it gives me an excuse to share this tidbit from
Steinway's 150th anniversary celebration.  They had a contest to find the
oldest Steinway.  The winner got to choose between having their piano
rebuilt, or getting a new piano of "equivalent" value.  Here's the link:

http://www.steinway.com/noteworthy/news/final_oldest_steinway.shtml

The quote:

"For The Record"

"The earliest pianos made by the company were "square" grands. However,
Steinway & Sons stopped manufacturing square grands in 1888. Over the course
of the past 115 years, authentic replacement parts for these square pianos
are no longer available, which makes restoration impossible. While these
pianos are of great historic interest, they are regrettably obsolete, and
thus, invalid for the contest. A heartfelt "thank you", to all the square
grand entries we received, proving the longevity of these pianos."

I was surprised they didn't want to attempt a rebuild...

--Cy Shuster--
Rochester, MN

----- Original Message -----
From: Ralph Onesti
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 5:26 PM
Subject: What are they worth...really!?

Hi everyone:

I hope this inquery finds you cool, healthy, wealthy, and happy.

I have to evaluate the replacement cost of a square piano...probably
chickering.

I realize that mechically and acoustically they do present a
problem...well...problems, but I have seen them posted for sale for some
outrageous amounts.

Where, do you suppose, I could go to document for what amount these things
are selling?

Thank you so much for your help!

Ralph
http://www.onestipiano.com