A string's treatment

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:41:31 -0700

Isaac,
In regard to your suggestion of raising a Major Third to "condition" the
strings for a brighter tone, this may work on Schimmels, that have a low
tension scale. However, to raise a Major Third, (above standard pitch), on
most pianos, would put the string tension(s) beyond their breaking strength!
I don't advise this. Although, the new strings may not break while you are
doing this, initially, they certainly would be more prone to break, down the
road. Just my thoughts on this.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)