Treble resonator

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 08:47:43 -0700

Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm curious as to how the "turnbuckle" is
used. Once the "resonator", (not a good term IMHO), is installed, does the
turnbuckle draw inward or push outward. In my experience, (limited), the rim
is extremely solid and the belly rail is very weak. It appears to me that,
either pushing or pulling is going to traumatize the belly rail, not to
mention, anything attached to the belly rail! To my way of thinking, a brace
is a far better addition. This "brace" would need to be installed BEFORE the
piano is brought to tension. Some clarification is needed, (at least for
me).
The photos provided by Isaac show the "resonator" installed. One item that
caught my attention, was that the bolt for the "bell" was removed! Was the
installation of the "resonator" in lieu of the "bell" function? Or, was this
simply a photo taken during installation and the bolt was removed
temporarily for ease of the installation?
Too many variables/questions to be answered methinks.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)