Was Wagner planer, now Jig for feeding keys

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Sun, 6 Jul 2003 23:05:42 -0400

List,

            I have used the Wagner Planer in my 10”Ryobi drill press.
Without the jig pictured, I found it very difficult to control the key
as the cutter would chatter and kick the key around. The vice is
inexpensive (under $20.00 and available @ most woodworking supply
stores.  The key mounts quickly with the appropriate spacer(s) in the
sharp notch(s) as required. Holding the handles  with both hands I
slide the jig against the aluminum edge and forward into the cutter.
The two handle design not only assures control of the jig, but also
keeps your hands away from the planer.  When the depth stop at the
front of the key hits the column of the press the key is resurfaced
.The vice has a quick release and the loading –unloading goes rather
fast. As this was a late night “prototype” I made it from MDF, but will
make the next one out of ¾ birch ply for better durability and
dimensional stability. I should mention that the old key top must be
removed before the key gets resurfaced.

            Tom Driscoll

[Photos at:]

https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/files/attachments/f1/5e/d1/ee/P1010025.JPG