Accu-just hitch pin removal

Sun, 6 Jul 2003 20:43:11 -0700

Tom,

I don't know how I could improve on what Ron wrote. I've never had one =
fail to come out the bottom in the tenor section. Those are all supposed =
to be through-drilled. I have only encountered a couple of broken pins =
in Baldwin pianos (and those were on pianos in the lab that had =
undergone--shall we say--somewhat abnormal use). I was always able to =
drive them through using a flush-fitting drift punch and rapped smartly =
with a ten or twelve ounce hammer, sending them smartly out the bottom. =
(You want to work a thin piece of metal or wood down there to keep from =
damaging the soundboard when the pin drops free and the punch pops =
down.) Before you go back at the thing with a hammer and punch you might =
try using a mirror to look at the underside of the plate to determine =
whether or not the hole is through-drilled. If it is--what can I =
say?--it should drive through.

The only time I've ever had to remove one of these pins from the bass =
section the plate was already out of the piano. Much like Ron's =
suggestion I used a drill bit small enough to slip through the hole in =
the pin and drilled through the plate. I don't remember the =
size--probably about 1/8". Then I back-drilled (using that first hole as =
a guide) with another, somewhat larger, drill bit until that bit hit the =
pin. Again, I don't remember the exact size. If a 1/8" bit was used =
first the back drilling could be done with a 3/16" bit. Using a punch =
the size of the second drill bit I was able to simply drive the pins up =
out of the plate.=20

These pins are a friction fit, the amount of friction being dependent on =
the amount of spring pressure. Usually there is not all that much =
friction and it's not all that hard to get them out. If you've tried =
soaking the thing with a drop or two of Liquid Wrench and still can't =
get it to budge I don't know what else to suggest. Pull the plate and =
drive up from the back.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Del

  ----- Original Message -----=20